[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 7 most recent journal entries recorded in
|Friday, June 9th, 2006|
i know i have to go feed sarah so i can get to sleep sometime soon...but...it's so rare that i get on the computer these days...
have a funny for y'all...
so, monday was our anniversary, and joan, i just realized i might have replied to you by getting dates mixed up, so pardon my fuzzy brain...
anyway, my folks were babysitting our 3 year old, we had our infant daughter with us, as she's breastfeeding, had some quiet time for just the 2 of us when sarah was sleeping...you know, the doctor gave me the go ahead as it's been 6 weeks since i gave birth...
rad's mother called us 3 times (we had the ringer off). she knew joel was with my folks. she started freaking out that something was wrong, and finally called rad's cell phone in the evening asking why he didn't answer the phone...
ummm...we're all adults here...anniversary plus time away from children equals....yeah...
|Wednesday, September 14th, 2005|
|dates for baking
kat - how about october 29th? saturday, 1pm ish - making bread with all it's infitesimal risings...
|Thursday, August 11th, 2005|
|harry potter's 5th and other books - query: thestrals
according to jk rowling, thestrals can only be seen by someone who has seen death, someone close to them die. luna lovegood could always see the thestrals, as could neville longbottom. why could harry only see the thestrals after the book goblet of fire when his friend/acquaintance died? after all, didn't harry witness his mother & father dying??!? didn't he hear his mother's voice crying out as voldemort killed her - he remembered in his dreams...
enlightenment anyone? Current Mood: curious
|Wednesday, July 20th, 2005|
|george lucas is a weenie
i really enjoyed star wars 3, in spite of the obvious, and i do mean obvious, oversights. speaking from the perspective of a woman who has been pregnant in the past - you cannot be carrying a baby (or two) in your womb making your naval the size of a basketball one minute and be running with an almost flat stomach the next while you're still pregnant. it doesn't work that way. that was a minor oversight, that was slightly irritating, but not surprising.
the surprising and completely irritating oversight that states what we all have known for years - that lucas is indeed a weenie - is killing off padme immediately after she gives birth to the twins - as, in the 6th movie, luke asks his sister leia, "do you remember your real mother?", and she answers yes, leia has impressions of her real mother, that she was beautiful and very sad. in other words, padme was supposed to give birth to the twins, dump luke at his aunt & uncle's, and flee with leia to senator organa's, before she died a few YEARS later... Current Mood: contemplative
can someone please explain to me why everyone asks how old you are?
i went to buy stamps at the post office and the woman behind the desk, when i mentioned my husband didn't like what he considers "girly" stamps, stared at me and informed me that i couldn't possibly be married, as i wasn't old enough. then, she proceeded to ask my age, and not believe me when i told her.
at a playdate last week, the children are playing, and the other mom & i sit down at the kitchen table, where the first question out of her mouth is, "how old are you?"
somehow, when people find out i'm married, and then *gasp* have a child, they are prompted to ask my age.
do they get to guess at my height & weight too?
i've been in this realm before - it was in grad school in texas when everyone would walk up to me and ask if my hair color was real - maybe they don't have redheads in texas, i don't know - i just got thoroughly tired of answering the question...
we are so trained to answer questions that people ask, even if it's none of their business...so...
so, how old am i?
why do you ask?
well, you look too young to be married with a child...
oh, why thank you...
no, really, how old are you?
i just turned 96 - i look good for my age, don't you think... ;) Current Mood: creative
|Monday, July 18th, 2005|
|butterbeer recipe for harry potter fans
1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 bottle (3 cups) sparkling apple cider
Allow ice cream to soften, about 30 minutes, and bring butter to room temperature, about 2 hours.
Cream together butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a large bowl.
Add to ice cream and refreeze (about 2 hours).
Heat sparkling cider in a pot until warm, but still carbonated, at least 3 minutes.
Fill each glass with a generous scoop of ice cream mixture and pour warmed cider over the ice cream. It will foam like beer. Current Mood: cheerful
|Wednesday, July 6th, 2005|
|baking tips 1 - muffins & loaves
some observational baking tips:
* most recipes using 3 cups of white flour make 2 dozen muffins or 2 loaves of bread; most recipes using 1½ cups of white flour make 1 dozen muffins or 1 loaf of bread.
* the more liquid the recipe for making bread, such as banana bread, the better muffins will be instead of a loaf pan, as muffins cook faster because they are in smaller portions compared to one loaf of bread
* i tend to be lazy and approximate my flour, it's better to level out the cup with a knife; however, i am always exact when it comes to baking powder & baking soda, as they are chemical agents and you don't want to mess with them.
* never forget baking is a chemical process as much as a creative process, so, be creative as much as you like, but if you mess up the chemistry, you'll be eating sawdust...
* mix the liquid ingredients together 1st, such as the eggs, oil, water, and add the sugar to that; if you're not too lazy, sift your dry ingredients (if you are lazy, just measure them out in a separate bowl): flour, baking soda, baking powder together - before you mix them with the wet ingredients. if you don't want to use 2 bowls, then mix the liquid ingredients first (including the sugar), before you add the dry ingredients, such as the flour, etc.
* mini-loaves make nice presents for holidays or housewarming, etc., although they will cook almost as long as a regular loaf, but you'll get 2 little loaves instead of 1 big one. Current Mood: creative